Dutch Gambling Landscape 2022
The Kansspelautoriteit (KSA), or the Dutch Gaming Authority, has unveiled a comprehensive analysis of the 2022 gambling industry in the Netherlands. The report delineates the evolutionary trajectory of gambling since the re-regulation, spotlighting the performance of the last year.
Market Performance 📈
The market witnessed a steady year-over-year augmentation, with the gross gaming result (GGR) soaring to €3.4 billion in 2022 from €2 billion in 2021. This surge is attributed to the legalization and advent of more land-based and online gambling avenues, luring players to explore.
Online vs Land-Based Gambling 🎰
Despite the digital surge, players predominantly favor the land-based market, which constituted 69% of all gambling activities, leaving 31% to the online realm. However, since 2019, the online sphere has been siphoning revenues from land-based casinos, especially from slot machines and table games, challenging operators to diversify into the online domain.
Player Profile 🧑
Comparatively, Dutch players gambled 14% less than other Europeans but expended more on gambling, escalating from €158 in 2021 to €258 in 2022. This spike in spending has not raised concerns as the regulator believes it’s a shift from offshore and illegal gambling platforms to regulated ones, spotlighting a positive channelization effect.
Online Market Opening Impacts 🌐
The inaugural year of online gambling displayed a clear shift from physical to online casino games, significantly contributing to the market’s growth. The total gross gaming result for casino games burgeoned from €1.5 billion to €1.9 billion, indicative of the burgeoning online casino realm.
Recommendation for Further Reading 📚
Explore more about the Dutch gambling regulations and market trends in our comprehensive library of articles. Dive into topics like the evolution of online casinos, the role of the Kansspelautoriteit, and much more.